1 Peter 3:15 is the reason for this post.
We have not done a good job of giving an answer to people when it comes to this topic.
But, why does it really matter?
- Credibility of Genesis is at stake
- Jesus’ credibility is at stake (25 references)
- The rest of the Bible is at stake (almost every Book refers to Genesis)
- We will talk about worldviews.
- We will talk about evolution.
- We will talk about Creation.
- We will talk about some proofs the earth is young.
- Q & A
Everyone has a worldview. A worldview is an all encompassing filter that a person sees the world through.
Many people see the world through evolution glasses.
Many see the world through creation glasses.
Both try to answer the 4 great philosophical questions
- Who am I?
- Evolution: Nothing important, no worth, polluter of the environment.
- Creation: A creation by the hand of God.
- Where did I come from?
- Evolution: Cosmic burp about 18-20 billion years ago.
- Creation: God formed you in your mothers womb. He has known you before time began.
- Why am I here? Evolution: No reason. Random chance produced you.
Creation: To please God. To bring glory to God.
- Where am I going when I die?
- Evolution: The grave. There is nothing else.
- Creation: You can go to heaven and be with God.
If we are really here, if we are real, then we only have 2 choices:
- Someone made the world, The Bible
- The world made itself, The Big Bang
What is evolution?
A Theory? A bad idea? A mistake? All of the above?
At its root, evolution is mans hypothesis of how everything that is, came into being. It is mans way of taking God out of the picture.
- Evolution defined “evolution is a change in the traits of living organisms over generations, including the emergence of new species”
- And another “the sequence of events involved in the evolutionary development of a species or taxonomic group of organisms”
Evolution became popular in 1859 when Charles Darwin wrote a book called The Origin of Species.
- It is important to realize that evolution comes from Satan, not Charles Darwin.
- Evolution removes God and places man in God’s place.
- In Genesis 3:5 Satan say “you shall be as gods”.
- In Isaiah 14:14 Satan said “I will ascend above the heights of the clouds, I will be like the most High.
- From the beginning Satan and man have sought to place themselves in God’s place. Evolution theory is simply a modern try at this old game.
1963 – the beginning of the end for American Society
- In the 1950s the average school textbook contained 2000 words about evolution.
- In the 1960s the average high school textbook contained over 33,000 words about evolution.
- 1963 evolution content in textbooks had jumped and prayer was removed from schools.
Suicide Rates: Up (more than doubled)
Sexually transmitted diseases (ages 10-14) Up 385%
Premarital sex rates (ages 10-14) Up 400%
Unwed Birth Rates: Up 100%
Pregnancy Rates: Up 553%
Abortion Rates: Up 453%
Unwed couples living together: Up 725%
Divorce Rates: Up 469%
Violent Crime Rates: Up 1000%
Teen suicide Rate: Up 365%
SAT scores: Down 60%
Let me ask a couple of questions:
If evolution is true what defines right and wrong?
If evolution is true what is sin?
Types of Evolution
- Cosmic: Big Bang, no evidence (all theorized)
- Chemical: Elemental chart, hydrogen and helium (105 total)
- Stellar: Stars need to form and develop, doesn’t happen
- Organic: Life starts from non-living material, never happened
- Macro: Animal changes into a different kind of animal
- Micro: Changes within the same kind, variation is a better word
#6 is scientific. The other 5 are religious (have to belief it).
What is creation?
Creation was God’s act of bringing the universe into existence.
It is documented for us in the 1st and 2nd chapters of Genesis.
It is referred to as The Creation. We live in the universe.
Uni means “single”.
Verse means “spoken sentence”.
We live in a universe. God spoke and here we are!
Matthew 19:4 Mark 10:6 – Jesus confirms The Beginning
1 Corinthians 15:45 – Adam is the first man
By adding up the dates of the births/deaths in the Bible you get a number for total human history, approximately 6000.
Evolution theory says human like figures have been on the earth over 3 million years.
Which is wrong?
Some proofs the Earth is young:
- World Population:
- 6 billion people now
- 1 billion people in 1810
- 250,000,000 in Jesus time
- 4400 years ago seems to be the beginning of the population curve (4 couples having kids, grandkids, etc… can generate a population of 5 or 6 billion in a few thousand years)
- Not enough people in the world for humans to have been reproducing for 3 million years (150,000 people per square inch!)
- Spiral Galaxies prove the universe is young
- Galaxies would have lost their ‘arms’ in billions of years
- Super Novas – less than 300, there should be millions of Super Nova rings in billions of years of development Jupiter & the Sun:
- They are cooling off rapidly.
- You can’t lose for billions of years,
- Saturn & the Moon:
- Saturn is losing it’s ring, the rings are unstable
- In billions of years the rings would be gone
- The moon is receding from the earth
- We are slowly losing our moon
- The moon would have been so close 1 million years ago, the tides would have been so huge that everything on the earth would have drowned twice a day. (Inverse square law)
- 1.2 billion years ago the moon would be touching the earth
- 6 thousand years of receding time poses on problem for the tides
- Moon dust:
- There is only a few inches of dust on the surface of the moon.
- We expected several feet because the moon was thought to be millions of years old.
- A few inches equals less than 10 thousand years
- The moon lander had big round plates on the feet to offset the sinking in the dust. The lander did not sink. This made Neil Armstrong have to jump from the last step to the moons surface.
- All comets are constantly losing material, that makes up the comets tail
- You can’t just keep losing material, soon you have lost everything
- The fact we have comets in the universe proves the universe is young
- Magnetic Fields:
- The Earth has a magnetic field
- The Earths magnetic field is getting weaker
- The Earth magnetic field has lost 6% of its strength in the last 150 years.
- 30-40 thousand years ago the magnetic field of earth would be too strong for life to even exist
- This also speaks to why Carbon Dating does not work for items over a few thousand years old,
- Magnetism directly prohibits radiation from getting to the earth, that means less radiation was getting to the earth 1000 ago, than today
- If you carbon dated an item 1000 and your standard for carbon radiation content is the current content in the atmosphere, you will get skewed results
- Spinning (not cycle class)
- The earth is spinning around at about 1000 mph, at the equator
- The earth is slowing down, this is the reason we have leap seconds every year to year and a half
- The earth use to be going faster, 6000 years old is no problem, few seconds faster
- A few million years ago the earth would have 5000 mph winds, days and nights would last seconds, centrifugal force would have been enormous
- Maybe the dinosaurs were thrown off the earth
- Sahara Dessert
- The Sahara has a prevailing wind pattern, the wind always blows the same way
- This causes desertification, all deserts do this
- Desertification is the process by which a desert gets bigger
- Hot wind from the desert kills life plants on the edge of the desert and that area becomes desert also
- The Sahara desert is growing about 4 miles per year
- The Sahara is just the right size for a desert about 4000 years old (after the flood).
- If the earth is millions of years old; why don’t we have an older desert some place?
- Oil reserves in the earth are under immense pressure, around 20,000 psi
- This pressure is much greater than the overlying rocks
- Well experts say that the pressure should have equalized after a 10,000 years
- If the oil in the earth came from dead animals, humans, and plants from a flood 4400 years ago then we have issue with having current oil reserves in the crust of the earth
- The fact we still have oil wells prove the earth is young.
- Mississippi River
- The Mississippi deposits 80,000 tons of sediment an hour, day after day, year after year…
- Evolutionary scientists say that it probably took 30,000 years to deposit all the mud forming the New Orleans delta
- If the earth is millions of years old; why isn’t the Gulf of Mexico filled in with mud by now?
- If Noah’s flood is true, then the mud in the delta could have been formed during the run off period 1 year after the flood itself. 1 year of global water runoff and erosion easily accounts for that amount of mud in the delta. Scientists say it looks like 30,000 years but it really took 1 year of global runoff and the last 4400 years of normal river flow
- Bristlecone Pine Trees
- The oldest living tree in the world is a Bristlecone Pine.
- The oldest Bristlecone Pine is 4300 years old
- If the earth is millions of years old; why is the oldest tree in the world only 4300 years old?
- Noah’s flood was 4400 years ago.
- Coral Reefs
- The biggest coral reef in the world is the Great Barrier Reef.
- During WWII some of the reef was destroyed
- There was a 20 year study watching the reef grow.
- The conclusion from growth rates showed that the Great Barrier Reef is less than 4200 years old.
- If the earth is millions of years old; why don’t we have an older reef someplace?
- The flood
- Niagara Falls
- Scientists say that the rocky ledge underneath the water of the falls has been eroding 8,400 years.
- All waterfalls erode on themselves and they are moving backwards.
- Niagara Falls is moving backward at a rate of 4.7 feet per year.
- Niagara Gorge is 7.5 miles long, to the cliff end. 7.5 miles divided by 4.7 feet per years gives us 8,400 years.
- If the earth is millions of years old; why hasn’t Niagara Falls moved more than 7.5 miles?
- Again, as with the mud from the Mississippi, the flood runoff plus the last 4400 years of normal erosion more than accounts for the 7.5 mile gorge.
- Rain & the Oceans
- When it rains, water runs into the oceans
- Bringing mineral salts from the land with it
- The oceans are getting saltier.
- Today the oceans are 3.6% salt
- 3.6 % salt at today’s accumulation rates equal less than 5000 years.
- If the earth is millions of years old; why are the oceans not saltier
- Cave formations
- Tour guides say that it takes 1000 years to grow 1 inch worth of cave formations
- Stalactites, stalagmites, columns, and ribbons all form very quickly.
- There are 3 foot long stalactites underneath the Lincoln Memorial. It was built in 1922.
- Dead bats have been found in caves covered in flowstone before they could rot.
- There is a federal memorial building in Indiana that has a 10 foot tall column complete from ceiling to floor, over a foot in diameter, the building is 40 years old
- There is a lead mine in Mt. Isa, QL in Australia that was opened up after being closed down for 55 years. This mine has every known cave formation in the world, in it. Twenty foot long stalactites and stalagmites.
- Hurlburt Field AFB, FL, had a drippy pipe that went unseen for a few years, once noticed the plumber also found a 13 inch stalactite attached to the pipe. The building was only 7 years old.
- In Thermopolis, Wyoming there is a tourist attraction called the teepee fountain. In 1904 the owner of this land stuck a pipe into the group because a natural spring bubbled water to the top of the ground
- This made the water bubble out of the top of the pipe and down the sides, this began to leave mineral deposits on the pipe (just like in your sinks & bathtubs).
- The pipe is still there today and the formation that has resulted is over 30 feet tall and 100 feet in diameter.
- It does not take millions of years to get “flow” formations.
- Rain & the Continents
- Besides mineral salts, rain also brings dirt with it to the oceans.
- Mud slides, land slides, ground creep, mass wasting, avalanches, and standard erosion all take material from the continents to the oceans
- At the current rate of erosion, the continents will erode flat in 14 million years
- How can we have fossils 300 times older than that still above sea level?
- If the earth is millions of years old; why haven’t the continents eroded away yet?
Is Creation & Intelligent Design the same thing?
Creation incorporates intelligent design, but continues onto the conclusion that God is the designer. Intelligent Design states that everything points to intelligence behind the complexity in our world. It stops short of saying that God is the designer.
Does Carbon Dating prove millions of years?
Radio Carbon-14, Radio Isotope, and Potassium Argon dating have potential, but all have shown they are not reliable.
They cannot be used for “aged” fossils.
They do not produce consistent results when using multiple methods (carbon & argon dating on the same specimen yielded different dates).
They do not produce consistent results when used multiple times on the same specimen (carbon dating on the same Mammoth body resulted in vastly different dates, 98% error rate).
Dating is not done on fossils, that is a misconception. Dating is done by the rock layers the fossil is found in.
Did Noah take dinosaurs on the Ark?
Yes. Less than 1% of all dinosaurs where bigger than an elephant! Of course the big ones are the famous one. Babies would have been a great option. They eat less, poop less, and sleep more. They are very resilient.
Did the continents really form a super continent call Pangaea?
No, to make the Pangaea theory work you have to shrink Africa by 40%.
Also, Pangaea maps have Central America as non-existent, they are not there.
Es don de es Mexico, Panama, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Honduras, Belize, and Nicaragua?